Do I need to pay a deposit on my rental reservation?

Yes, we do require 10% deposit to secure your booking. It will be deducted from your credit card prior to your vehicle pick up. The balance will be paid in full on pick up.

Which credit card types do you accept?

We accept Visa, MasterCard, Please note that Visa and MasterCard have an additional fee of 2% when used. There are no fees for paying in cash.

How and when should I make my rental car booking?

We always suggest that you should book online as soon as you know the dates you wish to travel. The best way to book a vehicle is via our secure server booking page. Or if preferred, just give us a call! You will need a credit or debit card either way.

What happens if I want to cancel my rental booking?

Pure Discovery Rentals reserves the right to charge a cancellation fee for the following conditions:

No cancellation fee applies for cancellations made more than 7 days prior to the scheduled start of the rental.

A 10% cancellation fee applies for cancellations made between 3 days  and 7 days prior to the scheduled start of the rental.

A 20% cancellation fee applies for cancellations made within 3 days of the scheduled start of the rental.

A 50% cancellation fee applies for a “no show” where we do not receive notice of cancellation prior to the scheduled start of the rental.

How can I view, modify, or cancel an upcoming rental reservation?

If you want to change or cancel your existing booking please contact us as soon as possible. Simply go to the contact page and make an enquiry, or email info@purediscoveryrentals.co.nz. Please ensure you quote your confirmation / reference number of your booking.

Can I check car rental rates without making a reservation?

Yes, you simply need to enter the rental locations, dates, and times to view our latest rates.

What do I do if I have an accident?

In the unfortunate event of an accident, please do the following:

If possible, prepare a written statement of the facts signed by all parties. If agreement cannot be reached, obtain a copy of the police report.

Do not make any admission of liability, as this may prejudice your insurance coverage.

Record full details of all parties and vehicles involved in the accident (drivers name, address, telephone number, mobile phone number, email address, vehicle registration number, vehicle make/model/year, insurance company, and apparent damage).

You will need to allow at least 30 minutes to complete a full accident report form when you return the vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Unless you have purchased excess reduction cover, you will be required to pay all vehicle damage up to a maximum of the insurance excess. If you have a camera, please take photographs of all damaged vehicles and the accident site to verify the damage and circumstances to assist us with our claim.

I have travel insurance, which covers damage to the vehicle. Do I need to pay the vehicle insurance as well?

Our standard insurance with excess amount is included free in our rates. If you are covered by travel insurance you will may need to pay for any additional insurance excess reduction, however you will be liable to pay the excess in the event of an accident and then you would need to reclaim this excess back from your travel insurer.

If I have an accident and I am at fault, will I lose my entire excess?

You will be liable for up to the amount of your excess towards the repair cost. If the damage is minor, you will only be charged the repair costs and not the entire excess. If your excess is zero ($0) you will not be charged at all (as long as you do not breach our Terms and Conditions).

What happens if I get a speeding ticket, parking ticket, or forget to pay a toll road charge?

TOLL ROAD NOTICES: In the event that we receive an unpaid toll notice relating to the period the vehicle was on hire, we will pay the outstanding charge and then pass on the cost plus a $25.00 administration fee for the transfer of liability of the notice to the hirer.

INFRINGEMENT NOTICES: In the event that we receive an infringement notice for a speeding, parking, or other traffic infringement relating to the period the vehicle was on hire:

We will notify and provide the Hirer details of the infringement notice as soon as is practical.

We will provide the necessary information to the relevant authority for such notices to be directed to the Hirer.

An administration fee of $50 will be charged to the Hirer for transfer of liability for the notice to the Hirer.

What does it mean by 24 hour booking?

Our rates are set in 24 hour periods which means that you are charged a daily 24 hour block from the time you pick up the vehicle. That vehicle is due back within 24 hours of your pick up. For example if you pick up a vehicle at 1pm on a Tuesday, that vehicle will be due back before 1pm on the Wednesday to avoid being charged another day.

What is included in the rates?

We offer the best rates on New Zealand car rental. Our rates are inclusive of GST Tax, basic insurance with excess , unlimited mileage, and 24 hour roadside assistance.

What are the requirements to hire a car from you

You must be over the age of 21, have a full driver’s licence and credit card.  If you have an overseas licence and if this is not in English, an International Licence with an English Translation is required.

How many designated drivers can we have for a car?

You can have up to four designated drivers per car.

What happens if I lose my car key?

The security of the key to our vehicle is the hirer’s responsibility.  We do have spare keys for most of our cars and we are happy to courier a spare key out in the event of a key being lost but this and the cost of a replacement key will be at the expense of the client.

Should I return the car with a full tank of fuel?

Yes.  All of our vehicles come with a full tank of petrol and must be returned with a full tank’.  A $50 re-fuelling fee will apply in the event of the car being returned without a full tank

What should I do if the car has a breakdown?

All our vehicles are covered by the Automobile Association (AA) 24 hour roadside assistance service for any vehicle related breakdowns. In the event that you need roadside assistance, please call the AA free phone number 0800 734 543. Please give them your car registration plate number and provide and directions to help them locate you.If the AA is unable to assist you, please contact us on 0800 223345.

IMPORTANT NOTE: For non-mechanical (driver error) call outs, you will need to pay the applicable fee directly to the AA prior to their attendance.

Can I smoke in the car?

Smoking is not permitted in any of our cars and a cleaning charge of $200 will automatically apply in the event of a car smelling of smoke.  This cleaning charge will also be incurred in the event of a vehicle being returned in a very dirty condition or with new interior stains.